Monday, September 13, 2010

Infamous in a Small Town

Recently, the Yankee I'm to wed and I went home to my home town. As a semi-official citified gal with some highly observant tendencies, I noticed some things. As the author of a book that centers around the comings and goings of a fictional Oklahoma small town, I thought it only fair to share some of my observations...

1. Things that should take you 30 minutes may take 5 hours. It's easy to get distracted in a small town. This is because everywhere you go, you see someone you know; and when you meet them, you have to ask about their mama, their mama's mama, and their mama's mama's, mama. Then they have to observe the societal niceties by turning it back to you. By the time you're down asking about everyone's people, everyone needs a tea.
2. You have no identity without "your people". I did not know how offensive this could be to persons without "people" until my mother (who never makes a manners faux-pas) inquired of a recently transplanted wife. My mother recognized her last name, but not her particularly. When she followed up by asking which section of the family she "belonged to", the lady got down-right huffy. Poor Yankee, bless her heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment